Sunday, April 1, 2012

Bass Trombone advice for teachers, part 1

I've decided to do a series of posts for my tenor trombonist friends who find themselves teaching young bass trombone players. I'll offer up my thoughts in no particular order. These are often my opinions, and there are plenty of people who might disagree with me, but here goes anyway.

1. Mouthpiece: start with a 1 1/2 G of some kind.

2. Etude material is a big topic that I will come back to, but to start, I like the Paul Faulise books for basic daily skill practice.

3. Don't neglect the middle tenor trombone register, or the high register for that matter. Bass trombone players need to be able to do nearly everything tenor players do and also sound great in the low register.

4. Long tones seem to be even more important for bass trombone than tenor.

There, that's a start.

3 comments:

  1. Great ideas and a valuable snapshot of the basics.

    Do you suppose the long tones derive that value from the register most often used or the goofy nature of the physics of the instrument?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently found many useful information in your website especially this blog page. Among the lots of comments on your articles. Thanks for sharing.
    Best Professional Trombone For Sale

    ReplyDelete