Saturday, December 22, 2012

all thumbs (and fingers)

I've been practicing some music lately that has me using my valves faster and in more varied combinations than usual, and I've finally come to a confession that has been threatening to surface for a long time.

"My name is Gabe, and I have sloppy valve technique."

And I know I'm not alone. I hate to say this this way, but we trombone players tend to be a pretty undisciplined bunch. I often hear otherwise excellent players play two notes that don't exist in the western tuning system, one somewhere between A and A-flat, and another somewhere between E and E-flat. It happens in fairly rapid scale passages, and it's because of sloppy slide technique.

I can also tell you from years answering phones and emails for a trombone manufacturer that many, many trombone players expect the valves on their instruments to work flawlessly for years without a drop of oil. And then they complain about noisy, clunky sticky valves.

Here's what I've discovered (listen for the sound of my flutist wife saying "duh"): my valve motions are better co-ordinated if I simply keep my thumb and finger in contact with them. All the time, from before I activate them to after. As a big added bonus, the linkages make no noise if I do this. None. At. All. 

There. That's all. Please don't tell me if I'm the last bass trombone player in the world to figure this out.

No comments:

Post a Comment