Friday, July 18, 2014

Recording Reviews, #1 of ??: Triton Brass

I've received some excellent new recordings recently, and I'm going to do a series of short reviews. I hope you'll buy them. The artists invest a lot of energy, time AND MONEY to do these, and every little bit of their financial investment they can get back helps them to do more.

So...first:

My friends of the Triton Brass Quintet have just released their debut recording. I work with every member of this group often in my freelance travels. I have tremendous respect and admiration for every one of them as individuals, and on top of that they have achieved the chamber music ideal of making a group that transcends the sum of its parts.

The recording opens with an original work by one of Triton's trumpeters, Andrew Sorg. Andrew is an amazing musician, and his piece, "Mental Disorders," highlights everything he and the group can do: all-in performance, shifting styles on a dime, with sounds that range from achingly beautiful to shocking and even ugly - all at the service of the music.

I won't say too much about the rest of the music, as I think it's best left to the listeners' ears, but I will say that this is black belt brass playing from everyone, in a range of styles of original music and transcriptions that I can guarantee are not already in your library. More importantly, it's a recording that captures the kind of freedom and excitement I hear from this group in live concert, with a beautifully clear and warm recorded sound.

I'm so proud of my friends Andrew, Steve, Shelagh, Wes and Angel.

Buy the recording at itunes, Hip-Bone Music, CDBaby, Amazon


No comments:

Post a Comment